17 August 2011

Recipe - My Vegan Weekend

Well, this past weekend I decided to make as many meals as possible which included Daiya's Vegan Cheese.

On the Friday, I made Grilled Cheese, Scrabbled Eggs topped with Cheese, and crescents filled with Cheese. All were so fantastic.

Grilled Cheese
Scrabbled Eggs topped with Cheese

Cresents filled with Cheese
On Saturday, I made Vegan Pizza. All of the topping ingredients were from my local farmer's market. Another huge success!

Farmer's Market Veggies and Vegan Cheese on top of a Homemade Crust


And on Sunday, I made Ratatouille with Quinoa and Black Beans (recipes below). Needless to say, it was awesome! :)

Ratatouille with Quinoa and Black Bean
I will definitely be adding a few Vegan recipes to my meal rotation. I have convinced my husband: Vegan is yummy. Especially Vegan cheese!!

I hope I have convinced at least one person to try changing the menu a little. Trust me, I LOVE my prime rib, but sometimes I do crave something different. These options surely hit the spot for me. My family loved them, I'm sure yours will too!

-----------------
Ratatouille

Ingredients:
2 Ishtar Zucchinis; these are small light green zucchinis. They taste and cook the same a regular Zucchinis.
1 Zucchini
1 tbsp Fresh Thyme, removed from stem
1/2 tbsp Fresh Greek Basil, finely chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Small Orange Bell Pepper, finely chopped
1 Small Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
1 cup Tomato Sauce
1/2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese; I used Daiya Vegan Mozzarella.

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. Using a mandolin or thinly slice (about 1/2 inch thick) both types of zucchinis. Place in a bowl, add fresh Thyme, Greek Basil and olive oil. Mix well, set aside.
  3. In a food processor, add 2/3 of the orange and red Bell Peppers, tomato sauce and Italian Seasoning. Pulse until sauce is almost smooth, about 2-3 mins. Pour tomato sauce in a round casserole dish, about 8". Place zucchini over the tomato sauce, alternating colours. Sprinkle cheese over zucchini, then top with the remaining Bell Peppers. Cut a sheet of parchment paper to fit over the zucchini, and bake in preheated oven for about 30 mins or until zucchinis are soft. 
  4. Remove from oven and serve warm or room temperature.

** Normally, Ratatouille has eggplant and yellow squash in it as well, but I didn't have any. Next time, I will add the eggplant and yellow squash but cook it the exact same way, just add the eggplant yellow squash between the zucchini. 

Quinoa and Black Beans
I used a recipe from my favourite recipe site. This is one of the few recipes, I didn't change a thing. Enjoy!  :)

Happy Cooking!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;