11 August 2011

Review: DAIYA deliciously dairy free®

OMG! I am not a vegan by any means. Especially, because my favourite meal is Prime Rib Roast with all the fixings! However, I have found something amazing.

First, why I even bothered to go looking for something like this? Well, I am having dinner at my house with my girlfriends. It seems life is always so crazy, we only see each other once or twice a year. So, I like to pull out all the stops and make the most incredible meal I can for them.


So, one of my girlfriends has found out she is Lactose Intolerant. No ice cream, no butter, no Alfredo sauce, no whipped cream. When I found out the Whole Foods opened up, I had to do some research into lactose free cheese. My husband is also slightly lactose intolerant, so it might be beneficial if I found an alternative to cheese anyway. He has been drinking almond and rice milk recently because regular cows milk has been making him feel kinda sick.

After doing a couple of quick Google searches, I found DAIYA deliciously dairy free®. Much to my surprise, it was one of the few "cheeses" that actually tasted like cheese and did not have an aftertaste. Well, today I went out in search for this alternative. I had read that Whole Foods would be carrying this product.  Well, I got there and: Yay! They did carry it. They carried the "Cheddar" and "Mozzarella" shredded styles. So I bought one of each. Very excited to start using it.



After getting home, and telling my wonderful husband about my great find and the many great reviews on this product. He started craving a grilled cheese sandwich. Well...I made it for him and he did a taste challenge.
He didn't even noticed the difference. So I melted some on "cheese" on scrambled eggs, and stuffed some Pillsbury Crescents with some "cheese". Both were winners. Couldn't even tell. Alyssa took a handful and stuffed it into her mouth and asked for more. This is definitely a keeper in my household.

Grilled Cheese, next time I need to add more "cheese"

It was so yummy in the freshly baked crescents. 

The "cheese" melted beautifully on top of the scrambled eggs. 
You would think it was more expensive, but it's not. At $4.99 per 227 g, it's comparable with the price of shredded cheese on GroceryGateway.com (price per gram). For me, knowing that my girlfriend can have "cheese", oh, and my husband too. It was well worth the price and I definitely be buying it more often. :)  Unfortunately, the only place I have found this product is at Whole Foods. Hopefully, more mainstream grocery stores will carry it soon as well, with the growing number of Lactose intolerant and vegans out there DAIYA should be more accessible.

If you do see it, pick it up! It's worth a try. If you do, let me know what you think. :)

Happy cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;