26 September 2011

Quinoa Vegetarian "Meatballs"

I have been looking for a good quinoa "meatball" recipe. I figured since it is so tasty and filling, quinoa would be a great alternative. I have seen lots of recipes for vegetarian "meatballs" which use chickpea and black beans, but   after all my searches, I have found only one recipe which uses quinoa. I have seen many blogs which reference The Small Boston Kitchen and her Quinoa Veggie "Meatballs". Of course, I had to try it! :)

Let me tell you, it was so...GOOD!! I gave my husband a sample and he couldn't even tell they were meatless. Both my husband and I are huge meat eaters but we both didn't miss the meat. I did make a few changes. I did try to make this recipe vegan, but couldn't think an alternative. Of course, now that I'm writing this post, I should have increased the rice flour and skipped the egg. Then these lovely "meatballs" would be vegan and gluten-free. :)

Quinoa Vegetarian "Meatballs"
adapted from The Small Boston Kitchen

Ingredients: 
½ cup quinoa
1 cup water
½ tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp oil
5 large button mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 green onion, roughly chopped
½ bag of fresh spinach, chopped
2 tbsp pecans, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
2 tbsp rice flour


Directions: 

  1. Rinse quinoa, then add to small sauce pan with water, garlic powder and pinch of salt. Cook for about 20 mins at a low simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally. When all of the water has been absorbed, place quinoa in a medium size bowl, set aside.  
  2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a baking sheet with a little oil, set aside
  3. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and add mushrooms and green onions. Cook until onions are soft, mushrooms have browned slightly and all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and add to bowl, set aside. 
  4. In same skillet, add spinach and teaspoon of water. Cook spinach until it has wilted, then add to bowl. 
  5. Add cooked quinoa, pecans, egg, Italian seasoning, and rice flour, mix well. 
  6. Make 15 golf ball sized balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 mins, until the "meatballs" have cooked through and are slightly crispy on the outside. 

If you're looking for a change up to your regular meatballs and spaghetti, try it. Trust me, these are fabulous! I really can't wait to make them again without the egg. :)

Happy Cooking!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;