|Wrapped with Cabbage|
|Wrapped with Tortilla|
Southwest Burritos or Cabbage Rolls
6 large cabbage leaves or tortillas
1 tsp oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 small tomatoes, diced
2 small avocados, peeled and diced
½ cup salsa
1 ½ cup cheese
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 cup salsa
1 tbsp taco seasoning
- Steam cabbage leaves until soft, set aside.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and garlic, sauté until lightly browned.
- Mix in quinoa and broth, season with cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until almost all of the liquids have been absorbed.
- Stir in black beans, simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, tomato, avocado, salsa and ½ cup of cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, mix together crushed tomatoes, salsa and taco seasoning. When sauce starts to bubble, remove from heat and keep warm. Place 2 tbsp of sauce on a small baking dish, set aside.
- Place cabbage leaf on flat surface and remove tough stem with scissors. Place 1/6 of quinoa mixture into cabbage leaf and roll into little packages and place in prepared baking dish seam side down. Continue with remaining cabbage leaves and quinoa filling until all have been rolled. Pour remaining sauce over cabbage rolls and top with remaining cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is starting to form thin crust.
- Removed from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm, topped with a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro.
As I mentioned, my husband had these rolled in tortillas and he really enjoyed them. :)
I guess you can just replace the sour cream and cheese with vegan sour cream and cheese, then it would be vegan as well. Which ever you choose, it's yummy and well worth the effort. :)
Until next time...
Happy Cooking!! :)