20 November 2011

Eggs Benedict

I have been craving a good Eggs Benedict for days now, but last time I made Eggs Benedict it was a disaster. I think I was trying to make breakfast for too many people (6) all at the same time. The eggs were cold, the Hollandaise sauce was lumpy and the toast go rock hard. Just thinking about it gives me the chills. :S

A couple of weeks ago, I found an easy Blender Hollandaise sauce. It's not traditional, but boy was it easy and  super yummy! With this sauce, I can make Hollandaise sauce everyday. Not that I would, very high in cholestrol, but I could. :)


I made Eggs Benedict this morning and it was fantastic. The Blender Hollandaise sauce is definitely yummy and it was much easier to assemble breakfast this morning. I didn't use ham, since I didn't have any. So, I replaced it with some Portobello mushrooms and spinach, to make a vegetarian version. Yum!! :)


Eggs Benedict

Ingredients:
4 Portobello mushrooms
1 cup spinach
4 eggs
1 tsp white vinegar
4 slices bread (I used Udi's Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread)
Easy Hollandaise Sauce (recipe below)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease baking sheet.
  2. Place mushrooms on baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until mushroom start to release juices. Turn off oven, and keep mushrooms in oven until ready to assemble.
  3. While mushrooms are roasting, heat sauté pan over medium-high heat, add spinach and 1 tbsp of water. Allow spinach to wilt and remove from heat. Keep warm.
  4. In a medium saucepan, fill 2/3 of pan with water and vinegar. Heat pan over high heat, until water has almost boiled. Reduce heat to medium. Crack egg into a small ramekin, and then slowly pour egg into water. Place all four eggs into water and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from water using spotted spoon and place on paper lined plate. (Here's a great video to help with poaching of your eggs.)
  5. While eggs are cooking, toast your bread.
  6. To assemble: Place two slices of toast on plate, top with one mushroom on each slice of toast, then spinach and one egg per toast. Pour about 1 tbsp of Hollandaise over Eggs Benedict. Serve immediately.  
Easy Hollandaise Sauce

Ingredients:
2 egg yolks
1/8 tsp Dijon Mustard
½ tbsp lemon juice
1 dash hot pepper sauce
¼ cup unsalted butter

Directions:
  1. Place egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice and hot pepper in a bowl and beat with electric mixer for 5 seconds.
  2. Place butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt. Set mixer on high and pour hot butter into egg yolk. The sauce should thicken immediately. If not, add ½ tsp cornstarch and continue to mix until incorporated. Keep sauce warm, but placing bowl in a hot water bath.

Happy Cooking!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;