03 November 2011

Happy National Sandwich Day!! :)

National Sandwich Day would have be my husband's second favourite unofficial holiday. Second, only to National Grilled Cheese Day. My husband loves his sandwiches so much, I decided to create two sandwiches for this wonderful occasion. :)

For my first sandwich, I combined two of his favourite meals, Grill Cheese Sandwich and Lasagna. Best part for him was that I used Udi's Gluten-Free bread. I would have used some Daiya Cheese and Yves Veggie Ground, but I didn't have either. (Note to self: stock up on some Daiya and Yves!! ) I just used some ground turkey and regular cheese. This recipe is definitely going to be added to my dinner rotation. So, GOOD!!

"Lasagna" Grilled Cheese with a side of salad
For my second sandwich, it was all about my favourites: Smoked Salmon and Brie. This was such great combination. It's a play to the typical bagel toppings: Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese and Capers. I normally like a little fresh Dill too, but I didn't have fresh dill. (Note to self: pick up some dill.) The mildness of the smoked salmon and brie, in addition to the saltiness of a few capers, made this sandwich tastes so decadent. It was soo...yummy! Soo...yummy!! 


Grilled Smoked Salmon and Brie
My favourite was obviously the Smoked Salmon, but my kids and husband like the "Lasagna" Grilled Cheese better. Oh well, more for me!! LOL! :)


"Lasagna" Grilled Cheese

Ingredients:
10 slices of bread
Butter or margarine
1 cup pasta sauce
2 ½ cups shredded cheese
3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped

Directions:
  1. Preheat Panini grill.
  2. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 5 slices, butter side down, on your work surface. Evenly top with cheese, a meatball patty, pasta sauce, basil, more cheese and another sliced of butter bread.
  3. Place on preheated grill and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and cheese has melted.  Serve hot with remain pasta sauce for dipping.

* Note: I shaped the patties, the same size as my slice of bread and about 1/4" thick. I also baked the patties at 450 F for 10 minutes per side, instead of frying them. You will have some leftover meat patties. I froze them for the next time I have a craving for a super easy "lasagna". :)


-------------------


Grilled Smoked Salmon and Brie

Ingredients:
4 slices of bread
1 tbsp butter
2 oz brie, thinly sliced
1 cup smoked salmon
1 tbsp capers, chopped
2 tsp fresh dill (1 tsp dried)
2 tbsp mascarpone cheese

Directions:
  1. Preheat Panini grill.
  2. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices buttered side down, evenly top with brie, smoked salmon, capers and dill. Spread mascarpone cheese on unbuttered side of remaining slices of bread, then place on top of sandwich, buttered side up.
  3. Place on preheated grill and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and brie has melted. Serve hot. 

Happy National Sandwich Day!! :)


1 comment:

  1. Did you make an extra lasagna sandwich for my lunch tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;