03 November 2011

Vegan Mushroom Tacos

As a last minute dinner, I decided to make some simple tacos. At first I was going to use the ground turkey I have sitting in my fridge. Instead, I opted for Vegan tacos, mainly because my wonderful mushrooms were looking like they were on their way out very soon. So Vegan tacos it was! :)

I love tacos, especially because I get to top the tacos with whatever I want. I tell my daughter, it's a la carte. Sounds fancy: Vegan Mushroom Tacos a la carte. LOL!

Kat loves tacos too, but tonight was a fight. She didn't want Vegan tacos. I told her I was going to make it out of ground turkey, last minute I didn't use the meat. She loved the tacos and I didn't have the heart to tell her there was no meat. Oh well, she'll know soon enough, when she reads this blog post. LOL!




Vegan Tacos

Ingredients:
 ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed
1 ½ cup vegetable broth
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp chili powder
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp canola oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
227 g (8 oz) pkg cremini mushrooms, diced
2 small zucchinis, diced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tsp palm sugar
¼ cup
1/2 cup salsa
10 large Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
1 pkg Daiya Pepperjack Cheese

Directions:
  1. Filling: In a small sauce pan, add quinoa and broth, allow to come to a boil. Add cumin, paprika and chili powder, then reduce heat and simmer until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. Add black beans, mix well. When all the liquid have been absorbed, remove from heat and keep warm. While quinoa is cooking, heat a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 3-4 more minutes, or until garlic becomes fragrant. Add mushroom, zucchini, paprika, cumin and chili powder, stir well. Cook until vegetables start to soften. Stir in quinoa mixture, crushed tomatoes, sugar, and salsa. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 450 F. Fill tortillas with mushroom filling and top with Daiya Cheese. Place in preheated oven for 3-4 minutes, just until cheese melts. Remove from oven and top with your favourite taco fillings.  Serve with some salsa and vegan sour cream. 
This recipe definitely makes a ton of filling. I used 3/4 of it for dinner and saved the rest for lunch the next day.  I also make some Taco Salads in Tortilla bowls. Here's a great website that shows how to make the tortilla bowls. It's so easy and cool! Restaurant presentation at home. :)

Topped my salad with some avocado, vegan sour cream, salsa
and chopped cilantro. Soo...yummy! 

Happy Cooking!! :)

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I've have a taco ... I had a burrito this week, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;