11 January 2013

Curry Shrimp Fried Rice



My husband loves fried rice. Me? Not so much, mainly because growing up it was something we ate all the time. Usually at the end of the week, my grandmother had to use up whatever was left in the fridge. Now, that I'm all grown up (yeah right, but I do have my moments) I have realized it is an easy, quick and simple way to make a complete meal from just a few ingredients.


Last night was such a night, I had some left over brown rice in the fridge and some large cooked cocktail shrimp in the freezer. So in less then 20 minutes I had dinner on the table.

Curry Shrimp Fried Rice

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, chopped
7 cups cooked brown rice (when I make rice I make a ton of it)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam marsla
1/4 cup veggie broth
20 large cocktail shrimp, thawed and tails removed
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 green onion, thinly sliced

- Heat oil in wok or large frying pan over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic, saute until fragrant.
- Add cooked brown rice, curry powder, garam marsla and veggie broth, cook until broth has been absorbed by the rice, stirring often.
- Turn off heat, but keep pan on hot burner. Add shrimp, cilantro and green onion, stir until every thing has been incorporated evenly.  Serve hot.

***  This made enough for 4 adults and leftover for 2 lunches. So it makes a ton. :)

This was great for everyone except Kat, since she just got her braces a couple of days ago. I made her some mashed cauliflower and potato so I was forgiven. LOL! Poor kid.

What's your go to dinner when you're running out of time and 
ingredients in your fridge? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;